I'm going to pay for my brother's university tuition next year. He will study in a German university. I am working in Germany. Am I allowed to file the tuition as tax return for myself?


I am not sure if the rules have changed but when I lived in Germany back in early 2000 you could deduct school fees for your own children up to 30% of the cost and you could deduct personal education for yourself or spouse to further educate yourself.

There was no deduction for other family members at that time from your personal income tax as far as I am aware, but rules do change so lets see what someone with a more recent experience have to say.

  • @DavidSupportsMonica your own children I just edited to clarify Jan 21 '20 at 4:15
  • Thanks for the clarity! Jan 21 '20 at 4:15
  • Sonce people usually don't by tuition fees for their siblings (but their parents would do), is this a case where you are financially responsible for your brother, for example if the parents are dead? It's not "parents" but "legal guardians", so OP could be the legal guardian of his brother.
    – gnasher729
    Jan 22 '20 at 8:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.