My N-400, Application for US citizenship application, was denied because I traveled outside USA more than six months (7 months).

I have a green card since 2014 (5 years).

After I completed my interview without any problem, they asked me to provide evidence. After I submitted my documents, I received my application denied letter.

Please advise me what I need to do?

  • 4
    Get an immigration lawyer.
    – Nij
    Commented Jan 18, 2020 at 19:05
  • You might want to ask on Expatriates, where you also can't get legal advice but you might find some useful practical advice. But if your actual travel history in fact disqualifies you from naturalization, then you have little choice other than to wait until you are qualified. If USCIS made some mistake in evaluating your application or the evidence you submitted, then your next step will depend on exactly what that mistake was.
    – phoog
    Commented Jan 18, 2020 at 20:37

1 Answer 1


According to M-476, if you were out of the country for more than six months (but less than a year), you should provide documentation that you maintained ties to the US such as evidence of maintaining a domicile (home) like a rent or mortgage payment receipts and pay stubs, plus tax return transcripts. Here's the actual text:

If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted six months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties in the United States, such as:

  • An IRS tax return "transcript" or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen)
  • Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs

If you did have that evidence but didn't send it with your application, I don't know whether or not you can appeal the decision with "new" information.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.