I have a foreign university degree and a job offer with gross pay of €54000. Do I need Federal Employment Agency approval, or can I apply for the visa directly?

  • That will be done during the application process. The Consulat will pass the application to the Ausländerbehörde for approval. The Ausländerbehörde will ask the Employment Agency before approving. Jan 30, 2020 at 9:52
  • but i tried to book for visa appointment through website it says "Highly Skilled Workers with pre-approval according to § 81 a AufenthG" also it says "Choose this category for only if you have a pre-approval according § 81 a AufenthG ( Residence Act ) in conjunction with the Highly Skilled Immigration Act (Fachkräfteeinwandersungsgesetz)." My employer did not FEA pre approval for me. what should i do now?
    – bitto kazi
    Feb 4, 2020 at 17:31

1 Answer 1


It depends not only on one's salary, but also on his/her job and education. See, for example, notes on this question for Berlin:

Approval of the German Federal Employment Agency. You need the approval of the Federal Employment Agency if you

  • work in a shortage occupation and
  • earn less than EUR 4,600 gross per month and
  • do not have a degree from a German university.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.