I am a temporary resident of Ontario, on a three year Work Permit. When applying for a credit card, I was told I was required to have an Ontario Photo Card. Can I get such a card if I am temporarily in Canada on a work permit?

  • Going along with your other question, I'd just get the driver's license, to be honest.
    – Adam Lear
    Mar 12 '14 at 22:11
  • @AnnaLear I will look into that, but it depends on the conditions (if I need to do a new test to get an Ontario license, give up my Dutch license, then in some years do a new test to get a Dutch license, I'd only do that if unavoidable).
    – gerrit
    Mar 12 '14 at 22:19

Yes, you can. All the instructions you need are on the page you linked:

You can apply for an Ontario Photo Card if you:

  • do not drive
  • are a resident of Ontario, and
  • are 16 years of age and older

You will need to bring to a ServiceOntario centre:

  • original identity documents to prove your legal name, date of birth and signature

You should be able to bring your work permit (#9 on "list 1" of accepted documents) to prove your legal name, date of birth, and signature. There are a few docs on that list that sound like they could satisfy that requirement for you, but they all seem to be basically the same form (IMM 1442).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.