I currently hold a valid work permit in Canada. However, I want to attend an event in a month after the expiry of my status in Canada. I am thinking of applying for a visitor visa. Does anyone know if the application of a visitor visa from within Canada while holding a valid work permit is issued for a full 10 years or for a very short period of time? I think it will be economical to get a visa for 10 years rather than being issued for short periods of time.

  • As far as I am aware it is not possible to apply for a Canadian visitor visa while you are in Canada.
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 12, 2020 at 5:35
  • 1
    @phoog Do you have a source for that? I am not seeing that as an eligibility requirements on CIC's website. canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/… Further more, the how to apply page clearly mentions that one can apply for a visitor visa from inside Canada if they meet certain criteria. You can read more about it here: canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/…
    – Dipen Shah
    Commented Feb 12, 2020 at 13:19
  • I read that too, bit I am not sure if I will get a TRV valid for a short time period or a regular visitor visa valid for 10 years
    – pg2455
    Commented Feb 13, 2020 at 3:59
  • @pg2455 No one knows that. The only way to find out is to apply.
    – Dipen Shah
    Commented Feb 13, 2020 at 15:19
  • 1
    @pg2455 According to cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=417&top=16 all visa applicants are automatically considered for a multiple entry visa valid for up to 10 years or one month before your passport expires, whichever is shorter.
    – Traveller
    Commented Mar 15, 2020 at 5:52

1 Answer 1


You can apply to change your status to visitor, but once your current study or work permit expires, you won’t be able to apply for a new study or work permit from within Canada. This means it won’t give you more time to extend your study or work permit.

Most visitors aren’t eligible to apply for a study or work permit from within Canada. If you change your status to visitor, you may have to leave Canada to apply for a new study or work permit.

Because of this, we strongly recommend you don’t change your status to visitor if you need more time to apply for your permit.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.