I moved to another town for a new job. It is very hard to find a new apartment in another town. I saw a shared room on video and signed the contract.

After moving to a new town, the landlord has provided another room in a different address. Example Address in Contract is Street 1, however, the room is in Street 1A.

I did my city registration with Address Street 1 only. I believe the owner is renting this building illegally but not sure.

These are 2 different buildings on the same piece of land by the same owner. I did not pay any attention at the start (again find a new apartment/room immediately at the start of a new job) however I am now worried. It's been more than 3 months. What will be the legal consequences for me? Can I inform the Rathaus about the same?

Did anyone have any experience?

  • Were you in the different building when you registered? What did the Einzugsbestätigung that the owner gave you state? Is this only a 'A' missing from the address house number? Commented Feb 20, 2020 at 15:23

1 Answer 1


Go to the administration where you registered after you had moved in and tell them about the change. If you have a rental agreement with the correct address, take it with you.

If you do this as soon as possible, the legal consequences will not be harsh. Perhaps you have to pay a small fine because you waited for so long, but perhaps nothing happens at all. Especially if you are able to explain your behavior, that you were busy with a job search etc.

If you do not tell them and they find out, the consequences will be much worse.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.