an answer would be great but pointers to information would also be greatly appreciated:

I'm from the UK currently in the US on a J1 visa doing research. Roughly 10 years ago I was in the US on a J1 visa as a camp counselor.

If the camp counseling didn't happen I would have 24 months tax exempt. My question is whether the 2 months as a counselor reduces that to 22 months.

I was paid some small amount by cheque for being a counselor but did not file a tax return.

Any advice would be really useful. Thanks.

1 Answer 1


I'm assuming you are talking about Article 20A of the US-UK tax treaty (as added by the protocol to the treaty). The technical explanation says that if you become a resident of the UK for a substantial period of time, and then come back to the US, you can claim the benefits of the exemption again. I believe that this means that you get 24 months from scratch.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.