I am a Greek EU citizen living in South Africa wanting to move to Ireland with my non-EU citizen husband who is South African. What do we need for access to live and work in Ireland?

  • Welcome to Expatriates. What research have you done already? If reviewing inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/check-irish-visa doesn’t answer your question, please edit it to explain exactly what you want to know or need help with.
    – Traveller
    Mar 4, 2020 at 7:23

1 Answer 1


Greek citizen needs nothing special, just registration in social services and revenue.

The spouse needs Stamp 4 EU Fam


This is easy. You have to go Burgh Quay Registration Office and supply the following docs


  • Revenue is not necessarily required. There are several ways to qualify for free movement rights. One of them is to be employed. The others do not involve revenue.
    – phoog
    Apr 18, 2020 at 23:31
  • Yes, non-worker can live without revenue registration, but it is needed at last for family tax credit. Also revenue registration can significantly help in opening a joint bank account. Apr 20, 2020 at 12:34
  • I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant that one needs to register in social services and that one also needs to have revenue. That one should register with the revenue authority makes much more sense.
    – phoog
    Apr 25, 2020 at 3:13
  • The question was "What do we need for access to live and work in Ireland?" If anyone or both in a couple needs to work, then both needs to be registered in revenue to get family tax credit. Apr 26, 2020 at 6:56
  • Right. I thought you were saying that they needed to have revenue (i.e., to have income) as a condition of qualifying to live in Ireland.
    – phoog
    Apr 26, 2020 at 7:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.