If I go to UK on visitor visa, am I allowed to marry an EEA national and apply for a residence card?

  • You have tagged Italy & UK. Where do you want to reside? What is your nationality? Are you currently a resident in the EEA? Is your to be spouse already living in the UK? What is their residence status? – user19540 Mar 10 '20 at 6:05
  • He comes and goes to UK, we are not yett – WorldWillEnd Mar 10 '20 at 6:06
  • married he lives permanently in italy , if i have schengen visa can i get married in Italy – WorldWillEnd Mar 10 '20 at 6:07
  • but can we marry in UK and apply for residence card – WorldWillEnd Mar 10 '20 at 6:07
  • 2
    Please update the question to provide all the required details in a clear and concise manner. – user19540 Mar 10 '20 at 6:09

No, if the purpose of your visit to the UK is explicitly to marry and settle. https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

Visitors who have entered the UK as a genuine visitor and subsequently wish to marry or form a civil partnership can give notice https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/give-notice of their intention to marry at their local register office but the immigration authorities at the Home Office will be told.

The Home Office might:

  • ask questions about you and your relationship - if this happens you may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married or forming a civil partnership

  • decide not to approve your notice - if this happens you cannot get married or form a civil partnership in the UK

Source: https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships

For a detailed description of the steps required to marry in England and Wales, see https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/living-together-marriage-and-civil-partnership/getting-married/ and for Scotland see https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/getting-married-in-scotland/how-do-i-go-about-it

For you to get a residence permit in the UK after your marriage, your Italian spouse would need to be exercising his freedom of movement rights to live in the UK. There is a brief overview of what this means during the post-Brexit transition period here https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49973387

  • There is also a visa which allows you to travel to the UK to get married and stay as a visitor for up to 6 months. – user19540 Mar 10 '20 at 8:28
  • 1
    @jason.kaisersmith I doubt the OP is eligible for the MVV if the explicit intention at the time of application is to stay in the UK after marriage gov.uk/marriage-visa – Traveller Mar 10 '20 at 8:41
  • 1
    Maybe not, although the OP is a bit vague about their circumstances. But also worth noting for others in the future who may come across the post for whom it may be more applicable. – user19540 Mar 10 '20 at 9:23
  • 1
    @jason.kaisersmith From previous questions expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/20158/… and expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/20209/… it seems the OP is marrying an Italian citizen who lives in Italy – Traveller Mar 10 '20 at 18:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.