I am currently working overeseas as an expat of foreign company registered in Singapore but my home country is still singapore. my cpf is contributed regularly by my singapore company and i have a house and property in singapore. my tax for non-salary income is also filed in singapore. my pr renewal is coming up now. I have 2 questions

  1. should I apply online for renewal or appear in person

  2. if my renewal application is rejected. is my current REP till may still valid and can i travel on it to come and apply again in person?

regards, MR

  • 1
    You can apply online ica.gov.sg/PR/reentry/pr_reentry_apply I can’t find any reference to an existing REP being invalidated/cancelled if a renewal application is refused. Why do you think it might be? – Traveller Mar 11 '20 at 6:59

I was in the same situation as you some time ago. It's going to be a judgment call by the officer based on how strong your ties to Singapore are, but one possible outcome (or, at least, my outcome) is that you will get a one-year extension to your REP. The thinking here is that if you're serious about living in Singapore, then you can arrange to come back within that year.

FWIW, I was also getting paid by a Singapore company and contributing CPF, but I was told that I had not spent enough time in the country to be considered a resident anymore. No house or property, but if you're not living in it, this is unlikely to help much.

  • 1
    +1, nice answer. I guess another factor might be whether the OP can demonstrate an clear intention to return, for example contractual end date to the overseas assignment and/or work visa expiry, within a timescale acceptable to Singaporean Immigration. – Traveller Mar 11 '20 at 9:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.