I have a German Blue Card and want to change my employer. According to the rule for Blue Card holders:

For the first two years of employment, approval from the Foreigners’ Registration Office must be obtained before any change of job.

My current job contract started on 01.04.2018. Am I allowed to change my employer from 01.04.2020 without approval? Can I just sign a contract that starts on 01.04.2020? I have a Blue Card visa in my passport and also as a card with different dates; are they linked?

I cannot ask the authorities as they are closed.


1 Answer 1


Yes, after a 2 year employment (without a time limit), you can change your employer without prior approval.

Note: Your residence permit for the purpose of employment/your EU Blue Card does not have to be amended, if you

  • have already worked for at least two years with a residence permit for the purpose of employment or
  • you have resided continuously in Germany for at least three years with a residence permit (except for study)

in addition, no time limit is fixed by law for your type of employment (such as, for example, in the case of speciality chefs or within the framework of an exchange of personnel of an internationally operating company).

You can then move to another skilled employment without prior approval. The Foreigners Registration Office will provide you with written confirmation of this on request.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.