So the situation is that a company is interested on hiring me, as far as I can tell it is possible to apply for a TN visa while being legally in Canada (which is the situation), but I also heard that the consulate might not be able to verify my information to do so, how accurate is this?

  • 1
    Why are you in Canada, what is your status there, and how long have you been there? – phoog Mar 26 at 14:35
  • I've been in Canada for almost two years now as a student, and as I said a company wants to hire me, but it isn't possible for me to come back to my home country for a while, it's worth mentioning that I've been in the county legally all this time. – Javier Cabrera González Mar 26 at 16:43
  • After I answered this question, I realized that it is here on Travel, where it is off topic, rather than on Expatriates, where it belongs. I therefore voted to close it. It now has three more close votes, so four out of the five needed for it to be closed. You can use the "flag" link to ask a moderator to migrate it. It might also get migrated on a moderator's own initiative. You'll have to create a new account on the Expats, but if you do (and link it to this account, which is the default), then your new account should own the migrated question over there. – phoog Mar 27 at 19:53
  • Thanks for all your help, I'll do that later when I get the chance – Javier Cabrera González Mar 27 at 20:04

As someone who has resided in Canada for nearly two years, you are probably best advised to apply in Canada in any case. A US consulate in Mexico would have more trouble verifying your information from the last two years, after all, than will one in Canada.

Here's what the US Department of State has to say about it, at Visas for Canadian and Mexican NAFTA Professional Workers:

You should schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at another U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be more difficult to qualify for a visa outside of the country where you live.

You live in Canada. You should apply in Canada.

| improve this answer | |
  • That's reasonable, I think I should discuss it further with my employers – Javier Cabrera González Mar 26 at 18:36
  • @JavierCabreraGonzález why is your employer involved in deciding where you will apply for the visa? – phoog Mar 27 at 3:17
  • I'm applying for NAFTA worker visa and they are sponsoring me – Javier Cabrera González Mar 27 at 15:39
  • @JavierCabreraGonzález I understand that, but it shouldn't matter to them where you submit the application. – phoog Mar 27 at 15:43
  • 1
    @JavierCabreraGonzález but why does it matter what they think? It's your application. They only have to provide some supporting material. You have to live with the consequences if it is rejected. Tell them that the state department recommends applying in the place of residence (I'll add a link in a moment). Tell them to retain an immigration lawyer if they're concerned that you're making the wrong decision. – phoog Mar 27 at 16:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.