I moved to US in May 2019 on a work visa. I am a resident in US and non-resident in India for the respective tax periods.

I spent 3 weeks working in India in Dec 2019. My salary was still generated in the US. Would I need to pay taxes in India on the income for these 3 weeks?

1 Answer 1


Yes. According to Indian tax laws you are required to pay taxes on salary you earned while working in India. However you can claim a tax credit on the amount when you file your USA taxes. This assumes you are an Indian citizen.

  • This would be a more persuasive answer if it included the source(s) for your statement. Sources might include citation(s) to Indian tax law, or responsible commentary, or even your own personal experience in dealing with the Indian tax authorities. Apr 21, 2020 at 18:20
  • This is what my CPA in the US had me do for my income when I filed my returns. I don’t know the exact rule.
    – proteus
    Apr 22, 2020 at 22:42
  • Very good. That a tax professional advised you to do this gives some weight to your answer. Apr 22, 2020 at 23:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.