Are non-US citizens studying in the US with an F1 visa allowed to sign a statement of work with some US-based company with no fee/payment attached but only gives them access to the company's account on some third-party website (e.g., Amazon MTurk for the student to perform data collection for their own research projects but paid by the company)?

I looked at some websites on working as a non-US citizen while studying in the US with a F1 visa, such as:

but I don't know what the answer is for my use case.

  • I'm a little confused. Are you trying to provide services on Amazon Mturk or is your company the one hiring other people through Amazon MTurk and having you as a manager? If the second, are you working for them using your CPT?
    – IanDan
    May 14, 2020 at 16:57
  • @IanDan the second. Part of the question is indeed whether a cpt must be established. May 14, 2020 at 17:01

1 Answer 1


In summary, Company A will hire someone from Amazon MTurk to provide services for them under your management. Therefore, you are acting as a manager for company A but you will not be compensated for this management work.

To me that is a work relationship and therefore requires work authorization, CPT if pursuing a degree or OPT if you're done with your degree. An exception for that is if Company A is in fact the university that you're attending. In this case you will follow the guidelines for on-campus work, which does not require authorization from USCIS.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.