I worked in Germany for the entire 2019 and now I have moved to the UK. I need to file for the tax refund for the year 2019. Can someone answer the following questions for me:

  1. I do not have a Steuernummer (tax number) but I do have a tax identification number. Do I still need to provide my employer's Steuernummer on my tax refund application or can I just provide my tax identification number and that should be it? I am applying through SteuerGo and it is mentioned there that a new tax number is required if I do not have one as of now.

  2. Do I need to fax or send all my documents by post as I am now living in the UK?

  3. What documents do I need to provide along with my tax application? Do I need to provide my Abmeldung and air ticket as proof of my leaving Germany? Do I also need to provide my residence documents within the UK?

  4. Do I just need to apply everything online or should I send my documents by fax as well?

  • What did the SteuerGo help desk say when you asked them these questions? howtogermany.com/faq/faq.php
    – Traveller
    May 27, 2020 at 7:01
  • What they are saying is kind of mixing with other comments that I am getting from other people.. If I don't get any firm answer, then I will stick with what SteuerGo is saying..
    – Django0602
    May 27, 2020 at 10:35


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.