As a non-EU national, can you apply for a long-term D-type German visa while you are in Germany with a Schengen visa?

Note: I am a Turkish national.

  • That question is not on topic here, but belongs on expatriates stack exchange. The answer depends on your citizenship, so if you ask the question there, you must be more specific.
    – jarnbjo
    Commented Jun 3, 2020 at 22:22
  • 2
    To the extent that you are allowed to apply from within the country, you would typically apply for a residence permit directly and skip the visa step.
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 4, 2020 at 23:01
  • @Relaxed the visa processing times for different visas are different, so in practice that is definitely not the case.
    – Our
    Commented Jun 5, 2020 at 10:26
  • @onurcanbektas What is not the case? I fail to see the connection to the point I was making.
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 5, 2020 at 10:37
  • 1
    When a D-Visa is applied for, with the goal of getting a residence permit, then these applications are sent to and desided in Germany - thus they take longer. In general all C-Visas and some D-Visas can be desided by the consulate directly and thus the processing time is faster. Commented Jun 9, 2020 at 10:51

1 Answer 1


No, as a general rule 3rd country citizens that require a residence permit for long term visits (longer than 3 months), must apply for a D-Visa at the 'competent mission' (mostly based on your main place of residence).

Exceptions exist for the citizens of the following countries:

  • USA
  • Canada
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • Israel
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea

who may apply after their arrival in Germany.


  • 3
    (+1) Another exception are spouses of EU citizens who may always apply for a residence card (not a permit) after entering the country.
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 4, 2020 at 23:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.