Do Australia, New Zealand, Germany facilitate permanent stay visas to immigrant parents of citizens? If I get citizenship in either of the countries, can I bring my parents permanently to that country?

  • I edited the question slightly. Technically, Germany permits anything but your parents would have to apply and qualify for a visa on their own, without relying on your citizenship for sponsorship. The most important question is whether it would make it easier to get that visa.
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 7, 2020 at 14:07

2 Answers 2


Australia has different visa options for parents wishing to join their citizen children permanently, depending on whether the applicant is in Australia or not at the time of the application.

  • Outside Australia: there are three possible visas. Two have extremely long waiting times (subclass 103 up to 30 years and subclass 114 up to 50 years), the other a high fee (subclass 143 AUD47,755).

  • Within Australia: five visa types are possible, depending on the circumstances.

Source: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder/join-family

To answer for New Zealand, it’s necessary to know your parents’ citizenship https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/live-permanently/explore-visa-options-for-living-permanently


In Germany, parents of adult residents and/or (EU-)citizens can only be considered for family reunification (Familiennachzug) if you can show they are dependent and need you to take care of them. So I think the answer is: no, having a child who is a resident or citizen doesn't confer any advantage. That's quite typical for European countries.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.