I arrived in Canada on a closed(employer-specific) work permit and was terminated. This happened amid the coronavirus pandemic. My employer quickly terminated me after bringing me here on a global skills strategy program, and my company has been reporting losses for quite some time. I was abused at work, I was told to do something and then terminated for doing that. It appeared fixed.

Now, I can wait for six months and wait for express entry to work out, thus having a break in my employment, or can apply under abuse of employer and try to get an open work permit. The latter is even suggested by a lawyer.

Would this look bad on my record when I apply for citizenship down the line?

  • What advice did your lawyer give you on that question?
    – Traveller
    Commented Jun 13, 2020 at 9:20
  • 1
    He seemed to be okay with it, but might be just selling his services! Commented Jun 13, 2020 at 10:53

1 Answer 1


As an opinion: I can’t see that will in any way interfere with a future citizenship application. First you’d have to become a permanent resident and live for five years in Canada. Take step one first before you concern your about step X.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.