I have got Blue card (residence permit) in Germany. I came from India in March and now wants to leave Germany back to my home country because of all these covid situations.

First I will leave my apartment in Germany (do I need to deregister it ?)

Will work from India for 3-4 months for the same organisation for which I was working in Germany. And then will leave the German organisation. Can I do so after leaving Germany from India?

  • Are you asking if you can de-register from Germany? Or if you can continue to work for your German employer from India? Or both? – Traveller Jun 25 '20 at 18:33
  • @Traveller- I am asking that currently, I have an address in Germany, I will leave this address and will go to India. I am asking can I work (for some time) from India if I don't have any german address but have Valid Blue card – Vipul Jain Jun 25 '20 at 19:32

If you no longer reside in your apartment (i.e. you are giving it up), then you must deregister it within a 2 week period after leaving (earliest: one week before leaving).

Please note that when you permanently leave Germany your residence permit expires, since you have terminated your residence.

This will have no effect on your continuing employment while working from India, since you don't need a german work permit when working from outside of Germany. That is solely a matter between you and your employer.

  • Sir, so it means I can get German salary, health insurance and social security even if I don't have a house or apartment in Germany? – Vipul Jain Jun 26 '20 at 22:17
  • 1
    @VipulJain No, not necessarily. The laws of the country you are working in would apply primarily. The salary would be based on what you agree to with the employer. Taxes, pensions and health insurance your local laws would apply. – Mark Johnson Jun 27 '20 at 6:26
  • Okay, great Sir, I thought I can work for Germany if I have blue-card until 1 year even If I am staying in some other country – Vipul Jain Jun 27 '20 at 7:22
  • There is a tax treaty between India and Germany. It should prevent double taxation, and also help with determining where the worker is resident for tax purposes. – Patricia Shanahan Jul 26 '20 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.