I am currently in the US as a J-1 visa holder, and I am applying for a researcher visa in Germany soon.

I have noticed that in the visa application form there is a field for "residence permit number" and the corresponding expiration date, but I am unsure as to what to write in that field, since the visa itself and the DS-2019 have different number and different expiration dates.

Could anyone inform me which of them is expected in the form?

  • 2
    The standard advice is "ask the German consulate to whch you're applying." Have you tried asking them?
    – krubo
    Dec 20, 2020 at 17:07

2 Answers 2


Could you use your ds2019? I am in the same situation and I am also planning to use my ds2019 to prove my residency in US

New contributor
Ayse Nur Gurdal is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

I would put the visa number and expiration date. The DS-2019 is neither a visa nor a residence permit.

  • Given that I had no intention of leaving the US this year, my visa is currently expired. But my J-1 program is, of course, still valid until the expiration of my DS-2019. And to be fair, the visa is also not a residence permit, it's more like an entry permit... Jul 22, 2020 at 22:34
  • @PerpendicularBox indeed, the thing that reflects your authorization to stay in the US is your I-94 form. You'll have to include that somewhere. Maybe the "residence permit" entry is the place for that.
    – phoog
    Jul 23, 2020 at 0:33
  • Visa is not a residence permit, it's only relevant to entry decision. One may consider I-94, or check if the field is at all mandatory (maybe they want an A# if the applicant has it?) Checking with the consulate IMHO is the way to go.
    – littleadv
    Apr 14, 2022 at 7:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.