Currently living in the US, I would like to travel to France for a maximum of 6 months and continue working remotely (French citizen with US L1 VISA).

How should I declare taxes? Should I declare taxes only to US?

1 Answer 1


According to (my reading of) the tax treaty between France and the US, you would only be taxed in the US provided:

  • you're staying in France for a maximum of 183 days during the whole year. That's roughly six months so you should be fine but you should make sure you're not staying a little more than six months and also include any holidays or visits to France you might make during the rest of the year.
  • your employer doesn't have a presence in France.

As a general rule in France, you cannot be fined by the tax office if you did not owe any taxes so not being taxable effectively means you don't have to file a return (unless you have some property in France or French-sourced income beside your salary).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.