I am a dual Hungarian-Canadian citizen and a Canadian resident and once this covid madness is over I would like to spend more than three months in Austria. I was looking at https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/12/Seite.120225.html and it says

they have sufficient means of life and sufficient health insurance coverage for themselves

well, what is that? The german version https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/themen/leben_in_oesterreich/aufenthalt/4/Seite.120210.html is not much more helpful. How much money are they looking for daily/monthly and what sort of health insurance?

  • 1
    Adequate means of subsistence means enough “not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State” (article 7(1)(b) of directive 2004/38), i.e. above the threshold to qualify for whatever basic welfare benefits exist there. I will see if I can find more details on how that's implemented in Austria to provide an answer. Typically, it would be a yearly income or wealth threshold rather than a per diem based on actual costs of living. I don't know how “comprehensive sickness insurance cover” is defined.
    – Relaxed
    Aug 27, 2020 at 10:15
  • 1
    How much longer than 3 months do you want to spend in Austria? My parents routinely spent four to five months in France without worrying about this (my father was a Dutch/US dual citizen). The Austrian implementation may of course be such that you might actually be fined if you try something like that, but in France the "fine" is imposed by a late application for a residence card carrying a higher fee. If you leave without applying, there is effectively no consequence. And that's for the third-country family member, not the EU citizen.
    – phoog
    Aug 27, 2020 at 13:23


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.