Am currently Canadian citizen working as an employee for a software company(registered in Canada).

This software company makes inventory management software for businesses that sell cannabis(marijuana).

In future, I would like to work in USA, through TN visa.

Would that be an issue to apply for TN visa? After working for cannabis related business software company

  • 1
    While cannabis (and trade in cannabis) is permitted by several US states, it is prohibited in others. The federal government uniformly prohibits cannabis and trade therein, and the federal government is the government that will rule on your TN visa application. The conflicts between state and federal law are ongoing and unresolved. I don't know the answer to your question...but I'm an attorney and I can easily imagine that a TN visa application will be denied if the words "cannabis" or "marijuana" appears in the application, or perhaps even in your résumé. Sep 4, 2020 at 23:26
  • @DavidSupportsMonica this company has a main headquarter in california and has one branch in Vancouver,Canada Sep 5, 2020 at 0:41
  • 1
    In addition to what DavidSupportsMonica said, I would note that being a controlled substance trafficker, or aiding, abetting, assisting, conspiring with, or colluding with controlled substance trafficking, leads to a lifetime ban on entry to the US under INA 212(a)(2)(C). The work you are describing may be considered to be assisting or conspiring with controlled substance trafficking, since cannabis is a controlled substance.
    – user102008
    Sep 5, 2020 at 4:29
  • @user102008 So, this looks like a serious matter to me Sep 5, 2020 at 17:20
  • 1
    It could indeed be a serious matter. The federal government obviously tolerates some state-approved cannabis business, but it (the federal government) isn't required to do so. It may act differently in the future, even as to currently-tolerated businesses, and might well say "no" when given a non-public chance to do so...as in a visa application. If you wish to proceed, I would consult with an attorney in the US who's versed in both US immigration and US cannabis issues before you take action. Sep 5, 2020 at 18:08


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.