I’m a non-EU citizen who just moved to Germany with a D-Type Visa and I started working 2 weeks ago. My visa is valid until February 2021. I didn’t get my residence permit yet. I have visited the Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde) but they didn’t accept my application and gave me an appointment in January 2021.

My wife is also a non-EU citizen living in Germany since September 2019. She was working with a regular work permit. She received her Blue Card recently.

My question is, am I allowed to apply for the Blue Card since my wife has it? I want to get it because there is always a possibility of getting fired and my visa is dependent on my current work.


1 Answer 1


No, you may not apply for a Blue Card because your spouse has one.
You can only apply for a Blue Card if you yourself fulfill the Blue Card conditions.

A spouse of a residence permit holder can apply for a dependent residence permit based on § 27 AufthG. Such permits are generally issued in 1 year periods (§27(4)).

Exceptions exist for certain residence permit types of the spouse, where the validity of the dependent residence permit matches that of the spouses permit

  • Researchers, Blue/ICT Cards and EU long term residence of other member states


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.