I am a US citizen with a Blue Card in Germany and held my job in Berlin for two years. I quit and told the Auslanderbehorde. They told me I have 6 months to look for a job. I found freelance opportunities in other countries like US and France to complete remotely. Am I allowed to do this while I look for other jobs? Do I need to report it on my German taxes and do I need to report it any other way? Or do I need to report it to the countries that the job is in?

My zusatzblatt says «Beschäftigung nicht gestattet mit Ausnahme der Tätigkeit als UX Design-Technologist. Selbständige Tätigkeit gestattet nach 2 Jährig. Versicherungspfl. Beschäftigt. Ist Beschäftig. Jeder Art Gestattet.

  • 2
    Yes, you may. Your Zusatzblat states that explicitly. Self-employment permitted after 2 years of insuranced employment. And yes, you must pay income tax on your income. You also must have (and pay yourself) a full health insurance. Sep 24 '20 at 22:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.