I am going to Germany with a blue card, but the law in my country does not recognize us until there is a marriage. I want to bring my long-term girlfriend with me to live in Germany.

Can I as a blue card holder register a civil union with my foreign girlfriend while in Germany?

  • 1
    It would probably be better to contact the consulate before you leave and ask what form of proof would be needed to show that a long term relationship has existed. Collect documents that show that you both have lived at the same residence (rental contract, employment contracts with same address etc. ). Commented Oct 4, 2020 at 9:34

1 Answer 1


Germany had something called an eingetragene Lebenspartnerschaft (registered civil union) from 2001 to 2017. It was an almost-but-not-quite marriage status for same-sex couples who were not allowed to marry at the time. This has been replaced in 2017 by the same-sex marriage.

So that is probably not what you want.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.