I'm a Swiss citizen who has recently moved to Germany for short term employment (<5 years). I do not speak German. Since I will work here for less than 5 years, I can request to be exhempted from the "Pflichtversicherung in der Zusatzversorgung", which I believe is what in Switzerland is called AHV/AVS.

  • If I do not request this, what happens to the contributions I paid when I leave Germany? Can I have them transferred to my AHV/AVS contributions?

  • If I do request it and end up staying in Germany for more than 5 years (very unlikely but you never know), will I have to pay retroactively?

  • I think you are confusing the gesetzliche Rentenversicherung with Pflichtversicherung in der Zusatzversorgung. The first is a mandatory pension, the second is an extra pension that only employees have that work in public services (öffentliche Dienst). Please clarify. The first is transferrable, if a treaty between Germany and Switzerland exists (which I assume is the case). Look for Versicherungsverlauf on this site. Oct 26 '20 at 14:00
  • @MarkJohnson Thanks, I'm confused, I called a Swiss office about the AHV and they told me that it is not tranferrable because Germany is in the EU, and as part of the bilateral agreements I have to pay it in the EU country I live in. But now you say this is another thing. Do you know where I could read what the "Pflichtversicherung in der Zusatzversorgung" exactly is in English? (Or French or Italian)? Oct 27 '20 at 8:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.