I am portuguese. My girlfriend, who is also portuguese, got a job offer in Germany. My current (portuguese) employers are open to the idea of me moving to Germany with her and working remotely.

However I am concerned with how this would fit with German tax law, social security, health insurance and the like. What would be the best way to legally move into Germany and continue to work for a Portuguese company? I'd like to cause the minimum amount of hassle to my company, as they're already being pretty nice overall, so if I could keep as much of the paperwork and contributions on the Portuguese side, it would be preferable. And of course to lose as little money as possible, but I'd be willing to end up with a somewhat lower net salary.


  • My salary is below what would be minimum wage in Germany.
  • We are not married nor in an official civil union, because we never really felt the need for that, but would be willing to marry if that was the most straightforward solution.
  • Her new company is not willing to include me on her health insurance, we can get a joint health insurance but the company only covers her part.
  • If that is legal at all, I'd be able to keep my fiscal residence at my parent's home in Portugal.
  • My current employers are a small company without a dedicated HR or legal department, so, as I mentioned, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible for them, insofar as it's possible.

It doesn't have to be a permanent solution, as I'm considering trying to get a job in Germany when I have a stronger footing and learned a bit of German, but it should be acceptable for at least 9 months to a year.

  • If your permanent residence is in Germany, you and your employer are subject to German working laws. – Janka Nov 8 '20 at 21:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.