I am a Swiss citizen and have been in the UK for two years. I am now working from home for my company for the forseeable future.

I would like to continue to work for my current employer but from Switzerland so I can be closer to family. I want to be counted as a tax resident in the UK because this matters to my employer. How long can i stay in Switzerland and work from there without having to register as a resident?

Also, will this have any implications for my employer?

  • 1
    Let's get this straight: Are you saying that you want to live in Switzerland but pay taxes elsewhere? Yours is probably the first case in human history. ;-) Nov 15, 2020 at 21:08
  • Haha, I agree, taxes would be lower in Switzerland but since I would like for my company that things change as little as possible I would prefer to pay in the UK. As far as I know I would need to pay the taxes anyway in the UK since the employer is there? I might be wrong though...
    – Simone
    Nov 18, 2020 at 22:45

1 Answer 1


This cases are always quite complicated and you better discuss it with a lawyer before making the decision.

Looking at this document from OECD it one may think that it would be without tax consequences up to 30 days:

There may be other consequence than tax (ie. health insurance).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.