I am currently holding a researcher permit in Italy with non-EU passport, now I will move to Germany to take up another researcher position.

Is it possible to directly apply for the residence permit at auslanderbehorde for that specific city without obtaining entry visa from German embassy in Rome?

What I understand so far: Yes, I can do that however I must have permanent residence card of Italy.

Can someone let me know if there is a way, I can directly register at auslanderbehorde?

  • 2
    Are you a citizen of the US, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, or South Korea? – phoog Dec 4 '20 at 5:40
  • No, I does not belong to one of the above mentioned countries – cswah Dec 4 '20 at 10:29

The normal process is that such an application is made at a consulate, which they then send on to the responsible Ausländerbehörde for approval, afterwhich the visa is issued.

So I am not sure what benifit you wish to achieve by bypassing the standard procedure, since you don't have a permanent residence card of Italy - but a researcher permit.

I assume with this term (permanent residence card) you mean an EU long-term residence permit, where this would then be possible. Otherwise you must go through the standard procedures.


  • 2
    Citizens of the US, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea, however, do not need a visa. They can apply for the residence permit in Germany: germany.info/us-en/service/visa/residence-visa/922288 – phoog Dec 4 '20 at 5:41
  • 1
    Members of the family of an EU citizen should be able to apply for a residence card directly as well. It would be useful to have an answer listing the various exceptions. – Relaxed Dec 4 '20 at 7:57
  • 2
    The benefits are obvious to anybody who actually experienced the standard procedure: less paperwork, one less fee to pay, not losing time before you can start getting set up, no need to balance unpredictable consulate response times and travel schedule. On the other hand, if you have the right long-stay visa, you would be allowed to start working immediately upon landing in Germany, which is not the case for US, etc. citizens applying for a permit directly. – Relaxed Dec 4 '20 at 8:02
  • 1
    @Relaxed Also a local consulate will be more familiar with local documents being submitted and thus bring into a form that the Ausländerbehörde will understand. A family member of an EU citizen would not need an Italian researcher permit, so that aspect was not handled and since no citizenship was given those exceptions either. The answer concentrates on where the idea that with a permanent residence card a direct application is possible (which is the core of the question). – Mark Johnson Dec 4 '20 at 8:12
  • 1
    @MarkJohnson Which documents would that be? You still need to apply for a residence permit no matter what. Does having a visa exempts you from submitting some documents when you do that? – Relaxed Dec 4 '20 at 16:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.