I am an Australian citizen and currently live in Germany. I have an Aufenthaltserlaubnis (limited residence permit) valid until the end of my PhD contract. I am planning a research visit to an institute in France, however, for longer than 3 months. During this time, I will still be enrolled at my institute in Germany, and be paid by them (and by extension, still pay german taxes / social security).

Is this possible with the German residency permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis), or would I additionally need to apply for a residence permit in France? I was not able to find any information online - using this website https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/ and inputting an Australian passport, it says I need a visa unless I am 'A foreign national who holds a long-term resident permit-EU from a state of the European Union'. However, I am not sure if the Aufenthaltserlaubnis counts - it is a long term residency permit, but it has an expiry date.


An 'EU long-term residence permit' is the name of a residence permit type, which can be issued after 5 years of a normal residence.

Your residence permit card, in the field type of permit, should contain something in the form of

  • Daueraufenthalt-EU

and in remarks it should start with: 9a (based on §9a AufenthG).

If this is not the case, you may assume that you will need a french D-Visa.

  • sample shown in image:
    • type of permit: Aufenthaltserlaubnis
    • remarks: 18 ABS 4 (based on § 18 (4) AufenthG)


  • This answer is simply wrong. In short, the OP is neither eligible for Daueraufenthalt-EU, nor he needs a french D-Visa. I have already marked the question as duplicated. – Andrey Sapegin Jan 25 at 11:44
  • @AndreySapegin You have complealy misread this answer. It clarifies what long-term resident permit-EU is and how he can check if he has it or not. Since the exact type of permit that he has is unknown, your claim that it is a duplicate cannot be varified. Kindly read the question and answer properly before making such claims and downvoting. – Mark Johnson Jan 25 at 13:03
  • The question of the OP was "Is this possible with the German residency permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis), or would I additionally need to apply for a residence permit in France?" Your answer indeed clarifies what a Daueraufenthalt-EU is, but it does not answer a question and provides misleading information ("you will need a french D-Visa"). – Andrey Sapegin Jan 25 at 13:05
  • @AndreySapegin The answer says that if doesn't have the residence permit type that his quote states exempts him from a visa, then you may assume that you will need a french D-Visa.. (you left the word assume out of your partial quote). This is a correct statement. Your statement, that he doesn't need a french visa, is questionable since you don't know what type of permit he presently has and therefore cannot determine if it exempts him from that requirement. – Mark Johnson Jan 25 at 13:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.