Planning a move soon and I am trying to figure out the minutiae. Technically I’m a citizen of another Schengen country, not France. I believe I read that the US will count a certain level of income tax paid to a foreign country against your taxes owed to them, as it is intended to prevent offshore tax sheltering, not to double-tax expats, but I’m not sure of the specifics, and I think that was for income earned in that other country anyway. For income (technically) earned in the US, shouldn’t I continue paying American income tax, and just pay French property and sales taxes?

  • 2
    If you're living in France and performing the work in France you are earning the income in France, even if the source of the income is in another country.
    – phoog
    Dec 23 '20 at 7:07
  • @phoog that sounds too simplistic. I doubt the US gov. agrees with that.
    – Tomas By
    Dec 29 '20 at 14:12
  • @TomasBy The US government doesn't need to agree and even if it would not, France would still expects the OP to fulfill their tax obligations and has every mean to enforce that while they live there.
    – Relaxed
    Dec 29 '20 at 22:24
  • @Relaxed sure, but that would not mean not paying US taxes (I assume).
    – Tomas By
    Dec 29 '20 at 22:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.