I work for a German company but would like to start permanently tele-commuting. In order to not create additional administrative overhead for my employer I would like to keep my tax base in Germany. I am therefore looking to move abroad but have a mailbox in Germany and, importantly, registration so that I am still considered a resident (I am an EU citizen). Is there a way to do this? Is there some company that offers tiny apartments or some other solution so that I can keep my city registration in Germany with minimal monthly costs?

  • 2
    This is a matter that you should ask a tax advisor that specializes in cross border tax affairs. For this, the actual country that you will be living in will probably have a double tax agreement with Germany will have to be known. Such agreements often differ from country to country and are therefore not always straightforward. As to residence laws, 'mailbox' residences (including a rented room where hundreds of peaple may be possibly registered at) will not be possible. – Mark Johnson Jan 23 at 0:08
  • I know that mailbox residences are not possible in Germany. There has to be at least 13 sq. meters per registered resident in each apartment. – Jubei Jan 23 at 13:09
  • 2
    I have known people (German citizens) who pulled this off by registering with family. This is clearly illegal, I would be surprised if a company could openly and durably offer it as a service. Note that the registration and “tax base” as you call it are supposed to reflect material facts: you're a German resident because you actually reside in Germany, not because you reported to some office somewhere. It would still be illegal and require you to show up from time to time but a realistic solution would be to rent an actual studio somewhere. The costs are not going to be minimal. – Relaxed Jan 24 at 10:05
  • 1
    @AndreySapegin The Bundesamt für Justiz uses the word 'residence' for 'Wohnung' in their English translations. § 20 Begriff der Wohnung - Bundesmeldegesetz / §20 Definition of residence - Bundesmeldegesetz – Mark Johnson Jan 26 at 10:40
  • 1
    @Jubel: the link you provided is relevant for inviting family members from non-EU. This is not relevant, since OP is EU citizen. Even if it would be relevant, the current version of the immigration law does not have strict limits anymore (please see AufenthG §2 Abs. 4, dejure.org/gesetze/AufenthG/2.html). There are indeed limits, but they depends from different laws and factors, such as land of Germany where you live, immigration status, social help, etc. E.g., in Berlin, living space should be at least 9 qm per adult (gesetze.berlin.de/bsbe/document/jlr-WoAufGBErahmen). – Andrey Sapegin Jan 27 at 9:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.