In Germany, there is (usually) a 3 month notice for when you leave your rented apartment. Sometimes, during these months, the renter pays double rent: at the place the new apartment they're renting, and the old one.

I was told that one can get one of the rents amount back, specifically the cheaper one. Is this documented somewhere, and if yes, how can a person go about taking the money back? Is the information supposed to be filled with the tax return?

  • Are you asking about getting money back from the government, or getting tax credit for the double payments, or getting money back from the owner of the property you've moved from? Feb 19 at 15:44
  • @DavidSupportsMonica money back from the government in form of taxes paid or the rent itself. Regarding money back from the owner, I don't think that's possible.
    – Snow
    Feb 19 at 16:11
  • I don't know the answer to your question. In California (and I presume in other US states as well), a landlord cannot usually receive rent for the same period from both the tenant who departed as well as the (different) tenant who just moved in. The departing tenant's claim, however, is against the landlord, and not against the government or its taxing authority. Feb 19 at 16:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.