I am considering moving and working in the United States for a period of three months.

However the job position that I would like to apply for (barista) does not allow me to get a work visa. (I am not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States so in order to start working I need to provide an Employment Authorization Document as well as a Social Security card which require having this type of visa first). I wanted to ask what kind of visa I could apply for in my situation or if there would be any other way to make it happen?

  • 2
    Your question has the answer. To work you need a work visa, and you can't get a work visa for this type of work. – jcaron Feb 20 at 23:26
  • @jcaron you can if you're a student, tons of baristas are on the J-1 visa – JonathanReez Feb 20 at 23:46
  • @JonathanReez - Good luck making enough money to pay for college on a part-time barista salary. If you are coming to the US to earn money, and not to spend it. – Obie 2.0 Feb 20 at 23:54
  • @Obie2.0 J-1 is a visa for students in countries abroad and is precisely designed for summer jobs – JonathanReez Feb 21 at 0:00
  • 1
    It is for, among other groups, people who want to come to study and also offset the costs of their education somewhat. If your goal is to make money, as the question indicates, that is a different matter. Paying for a year or even a semester of university in order to work for three months over the summer is unlikely to be a very profitable proposition. – Obie 2.0 Feb 21 at 0:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy