I'm a software engineer with US citizenship and will be relocating to Ireland under a skilled workers Visa. I will be bringing my family with me. Currently in addition to day job I'm involved in a small startup which compensates me in cash and equity.

I would like to maintain my position in my startup and continue to be compensated.

Is it legal for me to do so? If not what could I do to maintain both jobs?

Some of the options I've been trying to look into, but have not found any concrete info are:

  1. Just work for both companies and pay my taxes.
  2. File a US LLC and operate my startup though that.
  3. Create an Irish company and operate through that.
  4. Making my spouse the head of a small company of which encapsulates my startup work.
  5. Create an Irish company, hire myself as a contractor and pay for a second visa/permit.

Note: I'm not looking to avoid taxes/etc. I'm more interested in everything being square with Irish/EU/US policy as I am planning on this relocation being permanent.

1 Answer 1


Just after relocation on high skilled visa, you'll have Stamp 1. That's basic immigration status. Your spouse will have Stamp 1G or Stamp 3 (depending on some regulations). All those stamps (1, 1G, 3) don't allow you or your spouse starting a company or being a contractor in Ireland. So options 3,4,5 violate your both immigration status.

Options 1 and 2 don't violate your status, but you will need to file for double taxation avoidance to Irish and US tax services. I have a couple American colleagues, they do so.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.