We are a couple and I have EU blue card. My spouse and I are in Germany living together. My spouse also got a 4 years visa along with my Blue card. It's around 27 months now and I have obtained B1 Deutsch certificate and would like to apply for PR (Niederlassungserlaubnis).

Moreover, my spouse is in the last semester of a masters' degree in Germany.

My questions are:

  1. I want to know if my spouse can claim a PR as a spouse of a non-EU citizen holding Niederlassungserlaubnis in Germany? I found this link here which claims so https://legal-migration.de/english/visa-and-residence-permit/visa-for-family-reasons/spouse-of-a-non-eu-citizen/
  2. Can we apply for PR together? Or should I apply first and change the status from EU blue card to Niederlassungserlaubnis and then he claims a PR?
  3. If the above information doesn't hold, what happens to my spouse's remaining time on blue card?

Would be really great to hear from someone with experience.

  • 1. She need to spent 5 years with B1 to apply for Niederlassungserlaubnis. 2. See Answer for 1. 3. She will get extended resident permit. Apr 19 '21 at 13:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.