I am from a non-EU country and currently stay in Germany at my family. From Portugal, I have a residence permit for the purpose of study according to §91 of Portugal Aliens Act. Recently I have received a formal job offer in Germany. I already have my course certificate, Meldebescheinigung (proof of residence) and made an online appointement at Landratsamt München in oder to try to apply for a residence permit in Germany, however it will only happen 3 months from today.

What should I do? My contract could be cancelled if I am unable to work for these next months to come since I will be of no use.

Is it implied that I have temporary permission to practice my profession or should I wait for the full completion of the process to start working?

  • The question is unclear, what is exactly written on your visa (student and looking for a job are two different purposes of stay)? Where did you went to make online appointment (why do you need to go somewhere for online appointment at all?? Landkreis translates into something like region or county or district, so it is not clear at all where did you get an appointment). You might have a permission for work depending on what is written on your visa. Apr 25 '21 at 14:40
  • Sorry, I have assumed too much to cut to the chase, student visas do not allow working. I went on the website of the District office, in which is responsible for expedition of working visas (however, due to the pandemic it is an online appointment). My question still begs the same, is it not countraintuitive to appoint an interview for a job visa 3 months for now, in which the offer itself won't hold up that long?
    – Frank
    Apr 26 '21 at 6:20
  • 1
    Yes, this could be the case. There are some exceptions, of course, like if one is a student in Portugal and an exchange student in Germany, one can stay with a single residence permit. But in general case, I would expect that you are in the tourist status now. To apply for a national visa (to later get a residence permit), one needs to go to the German embassy in the country where one has a residence (Portugal in this case). The employment contract one can probably still sign, but on the first working day one needs to have a corresponding visa and work permit. P.S. I'm not a lawyer. Apr 26 '21 at 11:39
  • 1
    @TomasBy: great links, however, it depends on the country of origin if direct application for residence and work permit is possible, or first visa should be applied for at the embassy (see your first link). So if OP is not an exchange student, and not from EU or USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan, or South Korea, with high probability he won't be able to apply for residence permit from inside Germany, where he is just a tourist. Apr 26 '21 at 14:52
  • 1
    You need to apply for German national visa, not Schengen / tourist visa. I'm pretty sure it is possible. Apr 27 '21 at 11:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.