As far as I understand it, post-Brexit EU residency granted to a UK citizen allows them permanent residence and right to work in their chosen country.

They don't have the right of freedom of movement and cannot simply go and work in another country as they could before Brexit.

However, can they work remotely (ie. remain resident in their original chosen country) for a company based in a different EU country?

I can't see why this would be a problem (income tax would be paid in the country of residence as usual) but neither can I find any information which definitively states one way or the other.

1 Answer 1


A residence permit issued based on the withdrawal agreement (Aufenthaltsdokuments-GB, Artikel 50 EVU) includes an unrestricted work permit, based on the non-discrimination of existing rights to equal treatment portion of the withdrawal agreement (Article 12).

So the field TYPE OF PERMIT should contain the text: ARTIKEL 50 EVU as shown in the image:

This does not apply to UK citizens who have taken up residence since 2021-01-01, where the normal 3rd country rules apply.


  • Thanks for answering. I have such a card, with the Article 50 text on it. What I'm wondering is whether I'm allowed to work remotely for a company which is outside my country of residence, while I remain inside my country of residence.
    – Aaron F
    May 12, 2021 at 22:00
  • @AaronF You are physically working in Germany, that is what counts. You have already noticed that you must tax and health insurance for the same reasons. May 12, 2021 at 22:13
  • @AaronF For taxes, that might not always be true depending on any existing double tax agreements. May 12, 2021 at 22:19
  • 1
    @AaronF Sorry, for some reason I thought it was Germany. That makes the pdf source rather senseless. You should then check the Spanish implementation, since this may differ in the area of the work permit. It may be German specific that independent of the time spent previously, the work permit is unrestricted - which normally is only granted after 5 years residence. Will adapt the answer. May 13, 2021 at 4:05
  • 2
    @AaronF Yes, I agree. As long as you have permission to work in Spain, the government will have no objection in receiving taxes from your earnings. May 13, 2021 at 16:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.