I am an F1 student working for a US company from abroad (Ukraine) during summer. I am wondering then what sort of taxes should I pay given this? I know there are some tax treaties preventing from double taxation and I guess I am generally trying to figure out if I should even be paying US taxes at all if I wont be present in the US? My employer is thinking of issuing 1099 form for me in the end. Any help will be appreciated a lot!

I did pay taxes to the US in the past so I do have SSN and am a US tax payer.


If you were a nonresident alien (which is usually the case for the first 5 calendar years of F1 status), and you performed the work while in Ukraine, you should not be subject to any US tax on that income. I don't think the company needs to issue you a 1099, since you are essentially a foreign contractor working in a foreign country. You would still be responsible for reporting your income to Ukrainian tax authorities and paying any Ukrainian income and self-employment taxes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.