I'm an expat having Niederlassungserlaubnis, living and working in Germany for the past almost 4 years. I lost my job a few months ago & recently I've found a job outside EU.
I've found several questions online but couldn't find any satisfactory/concrete answer.
I understand if one stays outside Germany for longer than 6 months will risk losing their Niederlassungs.
I'm currently working as a freelancer, paying my health insurance & paying my taxes & I intend to do so in the future provided my Niederlassungs stays valid.
I know on also request extension of stay abroad from ABH. However requesting an extension or holding a meaningful & respectful dialog with Ausslanderbehoerde officials is not always easy as most of expats would've experienced.
Therefore I'd like to inform myself beforehand.
- How can I request ABH to grant me an extension for staying outside EU for upto a year or preferably more?
- Why is physical presence in the country given so much importance if a person is registered, paying taxes & health insurance?
- Has anyone been through such situation before or has known someone who went through similar situation?
- If I cancel my registration/Niederlassungs in Germany, since I paid my taxes & don't intend to refund my taxes/social contribution (which legally is allowed to an expat who leaves the country), Can I in future request resumption of my Niederlassungs or at least don't have to wait another 2-3 years to get Niederlassungs again?
- Am I legally obligated to inform ABH about working abroad?
ABH = Ausslanderamt/Ausslanderbehorde