I have the receipt of a permesso di soggiorno for Italy, having just renewed it a few days ago.

Can I now apply for a carta d’identità using that receipt from the post office?

  • No need for any of those capital letters! ;)
    – DaG
    May 28, 2021 at 15:12
  • @DaG I have restored the original lower case letters. The capitalization was introduced in an edit by another user.
    – phoog
    Jul 2, 2021 at 21:22

1 Answer 1


For a renewal, many towns will accept the receipt, yes. Some towns stipulate that the receipt must be dated within 60 days of the expiration of the old permesso (i.e., you need to have renewed before the old one expired or no more than 2 months after). You should check with your specific town hall/comune, however, as bureaucratic consistency is never guaranteed in Italy.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.