I am a U.S. citizen based in the U.S., working remotely as an independent contractor for Norwegian companies with work in Norway (interpreting and voice over). I have to pay taxes on my income in the US, but does the Norwegian company have to file a 1099 or can it just be treated as "other source" income? Similarly, do I have to pay Norwegian income tax?

  • The vast majority of the nations of the world only tax income based on actual residency.
    – ouflak
    Commented Jul 20, 2021 at 10:48

1 Answer 1


Whether the Norwegian company has to file a 1099 is a matter for that company. From your perspective, you report the income on your US income tax return, and if they send you a 1099, you include it. If they don't, it's not a problem that you haven't included one with your return.

I am fairly certain that you do not need to pay Norwegian income tax, since you are working entirely outside of Norway and do not reside in Norway, but I am far from certain. However, it looks like you may need to collect value-added tax and remit it to the Norwegian revenue authority. I'm not sure whether this would count as "electronic services," but if it does:

VAT On E-Commerce - VOEC
Foreign providers of electronic services to Norwegian consumers are obliged to collect and pay VAT. From 1 April 2020 this also applies to suppliers of low value goods.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.