My UK citizen spouse has been living in the US with me for over 10 years (I’m American). He just got into a UK Graduate program. Our plan is to get the degree and then return to the USA afterwards. Which visa do I need? Thanks in advance!

  • The visa (not VISA, which understood as a credit card company) would probably depend on how you plan to support yourself during the 2x 6 months period. Leave to enter would probably be denied without this being clarified beforhand. Commented Jul 27, 2021 at 3:36
  • Have you researched via gov.uk/check-uk-visa? For clarity, how long is the graduate program?
    – Traveller
    Commented Jul 27, 2021 at 8:33
  • 1
    This may be the type of visa that you may need: Family visas: apply, extend or switch - GOV.UK You need a family visa to live with a family member in the UK for more than 6 months. Apply outside the UK: Cost if joining your partner, parent or child £1,523. Commented Jul 27, 2021 at 9:45
  • Unfortunately, there isn't really a good option for this. You might want to consider applying for a graduate program yourself.
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 28, 2021 at 0:03
  • 1
    @phoog if the UK citizenship is renounced then they are no longer eligible for "home fees" that are capped (to £9250/year for bachelors I believe).
    – kiradotee
    Commented Aug 12, 2021 at 10:36

1 Answer 1


As a US citizen who married a Brit and just went through this process this year, you will need a spouse visa, and it is EXPENSIVE now with the NHS surcharges having nearly tripled in the past year alone. The NHS charges were nearly the same as the cost of the visa, and there aren't any options to not pay them. If you get a spouse visa, and you will have to get that if you plan to stay in the UK more than 6 months, you will have to pay them. In total between the immigration lawyer, the visa cost and NHS fees it was over $7000.00. 😕 And with how things have changed so drastically over the past year, you ABSOLUTELY need to get a lawyer! Our lawyer was amazing and his fees weren't bad.

  • I'd like to draw your attention to a comment asking for your feedback.
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 12, 2021 at 13:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.