I hold a blue card and employed from 10 months in Germany.

I understand my blue card will be valid for 3 months after I quit my job. I want to quit my job and visit my home country for a month and a half and return to Germany. I have an offer from a foreign Employer and I have no intentions to stay in Germany after I return.

  1. Is travel out of Germany allowed between jobs with a Blue Card?

  2. Will I have to inform the authorities of my job status before I travel to my home country, and will it cause any problems in my travel?

My plan is to be back in Germany, de-register here and wrap up things. Then travel from Germany to my new employer out of the EU.

  • In other words, after your return you will be moving to another country to start working? Will you be maintaining your present residence in Germany until you move to that country? Aug 21, 2021 at 9:32
  • Yes I plan to deregister here once I'm back from my vacation and wrap up things and leave to the foreign country out of EU. So looking at maintaining residence until my return form home country.
    – SriS
    Aug 21, 2021 at 10:30

1 Answer 1


There is no requirement to inform the immigration office that you are, either for a short time or permanently, leaving the country.

It is only when they think that you have permanently left (such as after deregisteration and leaving the country) that the residence permit, through their action, could expire earlier than otherwise stated on the card.

§ 51 (1) AufenthG
The residence title expires in the following cases
6. if the foreigner leaves the federal territory for a reason which is not temporary in nature,


  • Ok then I can as well de register and carry on! Thank you
    – SriS
    Aug 22, 2021 at 6:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.