I have just moved to up-state New York. I'm on a J-1 non-immigration visa, and have a full UK driving license, but not international driving permit. I'm struggling to find definite information online about the following details.
Am I permitted to:
- Buy a car and
- Drive the car in my current situation (or would I, for example, need to get a US driving license)?
[References would be helpful]
This is the order I actually ended up doing things, and I didn't get into any trouble:
Within the first 3 months
- Bought a car from the dealer using 6 points of ID (I actually provided more then 6) - the dealer did all the registration etc.
- Got insurance through progressive, who let you insure a car with a foreign driving licence.
- Got a driving permit from NY DMV.
Within the first 6 months
- Took the NY driving test (after the 5-hours pre-licensing course) and surrendered my UK driving license.
Although as per the links in ViB's answer, I don't think this last step was completely necessary