I have become a German citizen. Can I bring my old aged parents to Germany permanently?

1 Answer 1


Generally speaking, the answer is no. There is no general right for parents to join their adult children in Germany, family reunion only applies to spouses, minor children and parents of a minor children with German citizenship. It is possible to get a visa in special hardship cases (Vermeidung einer außergewöhnlichen Härte), e.g. if you can prove your parents need special care (Pflegebedürftigkeit) and cannot get it in their current country of residence, but not simply because they are your parents and you would prefer to live together.

  • 2
    The correct terminology is: außergewöhnlichen Härte (Pflegebedürftigkeit is only one possibility of many), for family members not covered in § 28: §36(2) AufenthG - Subsequent immigration of parents and other family members: Other family members of a foreigner may be granted a temporary residence permit for the purpose of subsequent immigration to join the foreigner if necessary in order to avoid exceptional hardship. ... Oct 28, 2021 at 16:52
  • @MarkJohnson Indeed, I already quoted the proper terminology, no need to bold it, and ”e.g.” means ”exempli gratia”. It's a common way to introduce an example in English. Maybe you confused it with ”i.e.”?
    – Relaxed
    Oct 29, 2021 at 8:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.