I am an Australian living in Japan.

Japan and Australia both are signatories to Unidroit, so an international will should be possible. I assume I need a lawyer for that. How can I find a lawyer to prepare an international will?

1 Answer 1


The best way to find a lawyer as an expat in Japan (or elsewhere) is to ask other expats with the same background as you if they have hired a lawyer for a similar reason in the past. If so, and they were they satisfied with their work, could they put you in touch, etc.

If you don't have expat friends with a similar background who could provide solid leads, or you already have tried this angle and it wasn't sufficient, another good option always is a country-specific Chamber of Commerce.

For an Australian, in particular, that would be the Australian & New Zealand Chamber of Commerce in Japan. Attending one of their networking events would be a first step to finding an applicable attorney (and building your network in general). You also could refer to the Australian Embassy directory of lawyers by location, which provides a list of attorneys not only in major cities in Japan, but also in smaller ones, as well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.