I am a UK citizen who is in the grace period of my J1 visa. I want to get an ESTA via the VWP for tourism.

From what I understand I can go to Mexico/Canada through the land border and return on an ESTA. However, I'm worried that I might have my request refused, or that I have to wait until the end of my grace period to return.

Also, would I be able to drive my US-registered car back in?

1 Answer 1


There is no specific legal problem with doing this. Your grace period ends as soon as you leave the US - there is no need to wait out the 30 days. Note that ESTA doesn't apply when driving---you'll simply complete I-94W instead.

Whether the officers will admit you as a tourist, particularly with your US-registered car, is a question nobody can answer with certainty. It's always safest to have a back-up plan just in case you're unable to enter the US due to a surprise denial, new pandemic rules, etc.

  • Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I'm trying to maximise my chances of getting back in. I've got proof of travel insurance, an outbound flight home, job applications out of the country.
    – prayner
    Commented Dec 5, 2021 at 4:09
  • @prayner Do you have a simple answer to "What are you going to do with your car?"
    – krubo
    Commented Dec 5, 2021 at 11:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.