Web pages that talk about visas for Austria tend to tell me how to get the type of visa they assume I want (or tell me I don't need one). Even the most detailed I found didn't have an option that suited me. I'm not looking for a long time, but more than ninety days.

One legal option I could figure out was to go as a visa-exempt tourist, and learn enough German (A1 level) to apply for a settlement permit before my ninety days expire. But the settlement permit requires spending at least 183 days in country.

What other legal options are available that don't require a job, an expensive school, a lease or purchase on a dwelling, a sponsor, Austria ancestors, or more than six months?  I do have more than enough income for the residence permit.

I know that currently COVID complicates things, but assume I am not blocked by that (which is true as far as I know).

Please don't waste words recommending some illegal method, not even if there's zero chance of getting caught.

1 Answer 1


The only way is to apply for D-Visa (National Visa), for a period up to 12 months and generally cannot be renewed.

For a financially independent person (sufficient funds), properly insured and who does not want to take up residence (but simply wander around the country), this is really the only option.

Such an application must generally be made between 1 and 3 months before the travel date at the responsible consulate or embassy.

It is up to the country itself, on a case by case basis, to decide whether they will issue such a national visa or not.

  • Are the requirements for type D the same for US citizens as for folks from countries that aren't visa-exempt? The web is full of pages written by people who think no one eligible for visa-exempt could ever want a type D. But there are few countries where ninety days are enough for my taste.
    – WGroleau
    Commented Dec 11, 2021 at 22:33
  • @WGroleau As far as financial means and insurance are concerned they will be the same, but must cover the whole period. Basically you must show that you will not cause any harm to the country. There are no general rules for this category. Commented Dec 11, 2021 at 22:51
  • "generally cannot be renewed": but for someone who wants to stay for longer than 12 months it can be replaced with a residence permit (as long as the person qualifies for a residence permit, of course; I don't know whether Austria issues residence permits to the financially independent, but some other EU countries certainly do).
    – phoog
    Commented Dec 12, 2021 at 12:46
  • 1
    @phoog See changes made to the Schengen Convention Article 18 in REGULATION (EU) No 265/2010: 2. Long-stay visas shall have a period of validity of no more than one year. If a Member State allows an alien to stay for more than one year, the long-stay visa shall be replaced before the expiry of its period of validity by a residence permit. Commented Dec 12, 2021 at 13:13
  • 1
    @WGroleau The monthly sum needed, after reduction of basic monthly costs (rent, insurance etc.), is listed here: Allgemeine Voraussetzungen für die Erteilung von Aufenthaltstiteln (SDG) and changes on the 1st of January each year (2021: €1000.48). Commented Dec 12, 2021 at 20:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.